Friday, August 8, 2008

“WATCH-OUT! GRENADE!”



Cover me I’m gonna get him! … He’s coming on your left! … How and the world did he shoot us both at the same time!?!? These were all things that my opponents tonight said about me. It was my team vs. their team, two on two, serious video-game combat. I was getting my Call of Duty 4 on tonight with a few college students, and we literally had a blast.

During the middle of our time, I told my wife, “I love my job.” Playing video-games, eating pizza, and laughing at how bad one of the students was at playing the game, is really at the heart of what I do as a campus minister. No it’s not goofing around, or using the church’s new cool plasma TV for video-games… it’s the relational bonding that took place. And if you’re trying to walk with God, but not walking with anyone, there’s a good chance you may be walking the wrong way.

When Jesus first called His disciples to walk with Him, the intention wasn’t just so they could individually follow and be apart of His entourage. I believe He always planned for them to follow corporately. Walk with God, walk with believers, and get others to join your walk. For Jesus, discipleship wasn’t a church class or a 5-step program, for Him, it was relationship. Are you in relationship with Him? If so, who are you walking with? I once heard someone say, “You find your people, you find your purpose.”

Even though my team lost both games, we all gained so much more. WATCH-OUT!!! GRENADE!!!

No comments: