Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"Swimming?


I jumped on the bandwagon. It’s official, I’m a fan of olympic swimming. Myself, along with 107 million people, watched the U.S. freestyle relay team win the gold medal. If you missed it, you gotta check it out at YouTube. I couldn’t believe what was happening. I was sitting at the edge of the couch, cheering and yelling, because the last guy in the relay came from behind to take the lead at the very last second possible.

As I watched the replay over and over, I noticed how Jason Lezak (the anchor), never peaked in his speed. Typically runners, or anyone who races in any capacity, try to reach their peak speed as quickly as possible. I once heard Darryl Green coaching some young men how to run the 40 yd dash, and he told them that you should never peak, but should continually get faster and faster as the race goes on. Paul said we should “run” with our lives as if only one gets the prize. In my life I’m always trying to figure out how to run better, faster, and stronger. So putting those together, we never want to get to the point in our lives where we “peak”. Nothing sadder than meeting that guy or girl who peaked in college. I hope we become the type of people who never slow down or peak, but instead, as we grow and mature, we continually get better, faster, and stronger at what God has called us to do.

And all this, from watching swimming. But seriously though...Swimming?

No comments: