Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Seconds? Yes Please"


Went to Six Flags today. A little sunburn, a little rain, a whole lot of fun! We spent most of the afternoon at the water park section, but eventually ventured off to a few different roller coasters. (I especially liked the Joker's Jinx ride) My niece is almost 10 years old, so I figured she wouldn’t want to ride any of the serious roller coasters, but she definitely surprised me. At first she told me she will go on all the rides when she turns 21, but hesitantly she got on a very formidable ride. She rode it back to back, and then again before we left the park. I’m a proud uncle tonight.

As I watched her three-peat the ride, I realized I’ve seen this before. So many young people are afraid to do things that they’ve never done before. And instead of giving it a shot, they just say they are too young or under-qualified, and say they’ll do it later when they grow up. Well, If God waited to use us until the moment we’re ready, He’d never use us at all. I believe God loves using young and/or inexperienced people. It helps illustrate the reality that God is so tight, that He doesn’t need an all-star cast to win. He just needs a cast. I once heard, the only ability you need is availability.

My hope is that we would all become more "available" to the things that God is calling us to do, not JUST the things that we think we got locked down. Then hopefully we’ll look at life the way my niece looked at that roller coaster. Seconds? Yes please :)

No comments: