Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"Anyone got a light?"


I felt like I was gonna die last night! I turned off the gas heater in the basement trying to fix a leak, and I accidently turned off the pilot. I didn’t know I could turn off the hot water without turning off the pilot light, so to my surprise, I had to start the pilot light back up to get the hot water back. No one wants to freeze in the shower. Now, I’ve never done this before, so I was pretty scared. I mean, when the directions say: light with match, but make sure you don’t smell gas so you wont EXPLODE… kinda makes one very very careful. Needless to say, I got it working, gratefully with no explosions. But as I laid in bed afterwards, thinking about how dangerous the outcome could’ve been if I wasn’t careful, I started thinking about the college campuses that I work on, and how our campus team is steadily believing for student’s hearts to catch on fire and burn for God. In Luke 12:49 Jesus said, “I’ve come to start a fire on this earth- how I wish it were blazing right now!” But just like lighting that pilot, things can get very dangerous if you’re not careful when reaching out to people. I’ve had my fair share of folks “exploding” in my face. And again, just like that gas heater, I believe God has given us clear directions on how to start the fire. I wonder what they are? Maybe it goes something like this:

Step 1: Love God
Step 2: Love Others
Step 3: Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you see the fire.

If Jesus came to start a fire on this earth, and if you were called to “”carry the torch”, how would you do it? What would you say are the directions God left for us? I’d love to hear your thoughts. I’d love to give a new meaning to the phrase: “Anyone got a light?”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when you said "torch", immediately the image of the Olympics came to mind.

I remember seeing a person on TV who as being interviewed. This guy carried the torch and he spoke of how he was selected out from many because it was going to be an important event. It was a moment of pride, prestige, honor and a great responsibility to represent his people. For him to carry the torch meant that he had to run the distance and meet the next person in line until the torch lighted the flames for the olympic games.

I guess I wouldn't take it for granted if Jesus passed on the torch to me. Which means I will do everything I can to keep it burning until its time to pass the light on to the next person or to the next generation. If its coming from Jesus, man, its gotta be very important.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you're doing this Rich. It's a good idea.

I am looking forward to chilling with you in the fall.