Friday, August 15, 2008

“It’s practice”

Had another fun day with my wife and niece (who’s visiting for the week). I love how her being here is motivating me to get out more and have fun. But I believe it was Spider-man's grandfather who said, "with great fun comes great exhaustion-ability” or something like that.

But I noticed something about myself today. After we played miniature golf, I took the ladies over to the driving range to hit some golf balls. Now I was never really great at driving a golf ball, but I could drive pretty straight and far. Now I haven’t hit a golf ball in over six months, but I thought I would be able to step out there and hit just as good as I had before. I was wrong. I probably only hit 2 or 3 good ones. The rest, well, I don’t want to talk about it.

Lesson learned: No practice, no performance. We can’t expect to perform at a high level in anything without practice. It’s like someone trying to overcome lust, without practicing holiness. The bible mentions practice quite a few times. Jesus often talks about not just hearing His words, but putting them into practice. If we have all the wisdom in the world, but never practice it, what’s the point?

I remember Allen Iverson talking about practice, but I can’t wait until someone uses his words in different way, and answers a question like this: “What’s your secret to greatness?”… “It’s practice.”

1 comment:

Peter Dusan said...

That's a good word!

Bro, you're no blogging novice! You're gettin' 'er dun!