Thursday, September 25, 2008

“Not for the Future” (How we Hear- part 3)


I remember how when I was a kid, my father would “ask” me to take out the trash. We all know it wasn’t a request, but a directive. Now although I knew it wasn’t a suggestion, I still took the liberty to wait until I felt ready to take out the trash. Instead of acting immediately, I would wait until it was convenient for me.

I think this is how we sometimes hear things. We hear for the future, but not the now. I think we hear for the future for two main reasons. The first one, is that we’re to lazy to act on what we’re hearing immediately, so we put it off as long as we can. The second reason, is that we may think we are currently unable or unqualified to do the very thing we are being told to do, so we push it of until we think we’re ready. Well, for the most part, you ARE ready now, and stop being lazy! :)

Jesus was encouraging His disciples at one point to basically do what God has called us ALL to do. But after saying that, He put an extra emphasis on not waiting until the moment they thought was the best time, but that the time to start walking in our purpose was right now! 

My hope is that when we hear God or someone tell us something (great or small), we try to listen for the now, not for the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

remember when dad would say... "I know you hear me! But are you listening?!" :)

Anonymous said...

:) YUP!