Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"No Strings Attached


This past weekend there was an event in DC called Convoy of Hope. Our church, along with over 120 other churches, joined together at RFK Stadium to bless the Washington, DC community with no stings attached. Families lined up as early as 7:30am to get groceries, help with resumes, job interviews, haircuts, root canals, dental work, health work, and prayer. And the best part, they didn’t have to pay a cent! The only expectation we had of the people was that they would be blessed.

It seems to me that in our culture, we are taught to only give away or do things that have a positive return on investment. I agree with that, but I may have a different perspective on what a positive return is. Typically it’s money, but I want to say there are many things to me that are considered a positive return. For instance, a life changed is priceless. Jesus told us several times to feed the poor, give money without expecting payment, and to look after orphans and widows. This type of work doesn’t make money for you. In fact, it does the opposite. I’ve heard of a few churches that focus on reaching the suburbs. Not because they feel called there, but because they know those people can give money to the church. But reaching the inner city, or low-income/poverty areas are gonna cost you a lot money. But the return on investment is enumerable!

That’s why I love things like Convoy of Hope. I think they get it. I hope we get it too. Love God, love our neighbors, and give to the poor… with no strings attached.

3 comments:

Mars Blackmon said...

Yo Rich,

I finally had a chance to catch up and read up on the blog. Great stuff bro. I've definitely been blessed by reading your work here. (You should have been an English major, like me!)

Keep doing it big, and I'll talk to you later.

-Mike

Jordan said...

That's a beautiful world. If only we all did that. So now let me make it more particular: let me do that. I want to dedicate my life to that.

Anonymous said...

Holy Conviction Batman! I feel you Jordan!