Tuesday, September 30, 2008

“Horton heard a Who!” (How we Hear- part 4)


In keeping with the theme of how we hear, I wanted to blog about how we sometimes hear too many voices. I know this is true in my life. There are times when I’ve asked too many people for advice, when one was sufficient, or times when people offered unsolicited advice… those are always the best :)

But most importantly, we are all typically overwhelmed with so many voices in our lives. Voices from friends, family, society, television, and our campuses just to name a few. We even hear things that come from our past or present insecurities, fears, and worries. So when all of these voices come at us at once, we miss the one voice that we desperately need to hear in our lives… the voice of God.

I love how God made it a point to show us in the bible (Matthew 17:1-8) that the voice of Jesus should be amplified above all other voices, even other good voices. I know it’s just hard sometimes to hear the voice of God in a noisy world. But I love how Dr. Seuss, in the movie “Horton Hears a Who!”, captured the heart of being able to listen to a small faint voice and follow it, in spite of the fact that no one else can hear the voice, and everyone seems to have advice that contradicts the voice.

Man! I wish we could all be like this. Good ol’ Horton heard a who!

No comments: