Thursday, October 23, 2008

“ Non-recyclableficated?”


Yesterday I wrote a little about what we are connected for. Today I want to focus on our commitment to that connection. It’s one thing to be connected to people in healthy family relationships, and a whole other thing to stay committed to those relationships.

Many people look at relationships like hotel staff. They wonder, what can you do for me? How much is it gonna cost? And do I really have to tip when I can carry my own bags myself? This may sound a little extreme, but I believe this is popular mindset in our culture regarding relationships. The what can you do for me/if you act up I’m gonna upgrade you mentality.

Just look at some popular tv shows in the past few years; Joe Millionaire, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, the fifth wheel, Next, etc. The only way any of those relationships last, is if the main partner is 100% completely satisfied. And the second they’re not...someone gets kicked off the show.

I’m so glad that we have a model of how relationships work from how God relates to us. The bible tells us that God will NEVER leave us nor forsake us. I hope and pray that we would be committed enough to be able to say that to people who really need to hear that...and then follow through with it.

At THIRST, we don’t believe in disposable relationships. And since we don’t practice disposable relationships, I'm not up on the current terminology. But I like to say our relationships are.. non-recyclableficated?

3 comments:

Kat said...

Rich, you are crazifilable

Rich Vanegas said...

Yeah...I try to hard, to not try to hard. :) lol.

Anonymous said...

this is a great blog...and something very appropriate to the day i've had... thanks! hope you're doing well, brother!

malia